Get involved

Staying Safe and Legal


Hints and tips to ensure your fundrasing event remains safe and legal:




Children at Events

If children are going to be present at your event, they will need to be adequately supervised and have permission to participate in the activity from a parent or guardian.  A Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) will be required if adults are put in charge of supervising children.

First Aid

Some events will require first aid provision.  Ensure you have adequate cover available for the scale of you event.  If you are not sure, please check with a professional medical company such like St John’s Ambulance or the Red Cross.


Before using caterers or food suppliers check to see if they have the relevant Health and Hygiene certificates.  If you are preparing the food yourself, it is advisable to get someone involved who has studied at least a Basic Food Hygiene Course.  For further details visit



If your event involves the public you will need to have Public Liability Insurance. It is worth checking with the venue first as they may already have insurance that covers your event.



If you are holding an event in a public area, you will need to inform the local council and police.  Ensure you have the correct licences if required – for collections, providing alcohol or for holding raffles and lotteries. 



If the event you are organising involves alcohol, please check to see if the venue is licensed.  If not, please contact your local council to find out more about obtaining a temporary licence.



It is illegal to carry out house to house or public street collections without a licence.  Please contact your local Council for details on obtaining a licence.  You need to apply for the licence well in advance of your event.  To collect on private property, for example in a shopping centre, you need to seek permission from the person or organisation responsible for it.  Please ensure when collecting on behalf of STARS you use a STARS collection tin.  These can be obtained by emailing or telephone 01789 867 503.


Raffles and Lotteries

For up to date information on holding a raffle or lottery, go to



When promoting your event, remember to include the charities logo and registration number on all promotional materials and provide letters to authenticate your fundraising approaches.


STARS is registered in England and Wales with Charity Registration No. 1084898

Risk Assessment

A risk assessment may need to be conducted to identify any hazards and evaluate any risks at your event.  Also find out whether you will need to get insurance.







The Institute of Fundraising have a website full of advice for fundraisers, including information on how to stay safe and follow the law.

Get in touch for more help and information

+44 (0) 1789 867


Send us your feedback

Patient Resources

To download our information resource and receive regular updates from STARS please enter your details below*:

No thanks

*Please note you can unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time

This link will take you to the site

Stay on this site