STARS works together with individuals, families and medical professionals:
- To alleviate the effects of and provide support and information on syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures, to those in distress as a result of these seizures, whether suffered by themselves or as a member of the family group.
- To advance the education of the medical profession and the general public on the subject of syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures and its implications for the individual and family.
- To promote research into the management of syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures and to publish the useful results thereof and to support organisations promoting research into syncope and Reflex Anoxic Seizures. STARS has brought together experts from every field (healthcare professionals, allied professionals, geriatricians) to ensure that everyone works to ensure correct diagnosis and access to effective treatment and support. STARS Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) is pivotal to our work. The committee comprises of a panel of international medical experts who act as an advisory, support and management committee for STARS, as well as advisory on all our literature.
The overall aim of the charity is to ensure that anyone presenting with unexplained loss of consciousness receives the correct diagnosis, the appropriate treatment, informed support and sign posting to the appropriate medical professional.
What STARS offers:
- Information & reports on the various types of syncope including Reflex Anoxic Seizures.
- Linking with similarly affected individuals and families.
- Information leaflets and literature endorsed by the Department of Health.
- Monthly e-bulletins.
- Bi-annual newsletters.
- Regional, national and international meetings.
- Sign posting to the appropriate medical professional.
- Adult and Youth Message Board.
- UK and International Syncope Specialists database