Arrhythmia Alliance Manasvini Kaushik Campaign
Manasvini Kaushik, a beautiful 12-year-old girl collapsed while playing basketball in a local private sports club on 26th March 2019. When she collapsed, she had “seizure like activity” which was mistaken for epileptic seizures by the coach.
The coach called the paramedic but did not use the AED (automated external defibrillator) which was available onsite just outside the sports room.
As an AED was not used, Manasvini sadly passed away. If the AED was used immediately, Manasvini could possibly still be with us today.
Manasvini was a very healthy, intelligent, kind, fun loving girl and very popular for her long hair. She went to Kendrick Grammar School in Reading. Manasvini’s death was a shock to the entire community.
An AED is intended for public use and requires absolutely no training to use. When using an AED, voice prompts give clear instructions that explain how to use it.
An AED has pads with sensors that are put on a person’s chest and has built-in coding that analyses the heart rhythm and will tell you if the person requires a shock.
It will advise a shock to the heart if it senses issues. If its reading indicates a normal heart rhythm, it will not deliver a shock. It is impossible to deliver a shock to a person who does not need it.
CPR alone gives the person a 9% chance of survival, whereas using an AED and CPR combined increases a person’s chances of survival to 50%.
Survival rates drop 7-10% every minute without defibrillation. Quick action can make the difference between life and death.
Parents of Manasvini Kaushik are pleased to partner with the Arrhythmia Alliance and will work towards raising awareness of the importance of AEDs in the event of a sudden cardiac arrest.