AF Association Global AF Aware Week (AF-A GAFAW)
19 - 25 November 2018
Did you know...?
- One in four people will develop AF; it affects an estimated 1.5 million people across the UK and in excess of 16 million people worldwide.
- AF can be detected cheaply and easily with a simple manual pulse check.
- Every 15 seconds someone suffers an AF-related stroke, yet most can be prevented using appropriate anticoagulation therapy.
AF and AF related illness costs the NHS over £2.2 billion each year
About AF-A GAFAW
Atrial Fibrillation, or AF, is the most common arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorder). Over one million people have been diagnosed with AF in the UK alone, although experts estimate that at least a third more remain undiagnosed. With an ageing population, this number is expected to double by 2050.
For this reason, we are promoting our Detect, Protect, Correct & Perfect campaign and asking all of our supporters to spread the word, whether this is by simply sharing and displaying information, holding an AF Awareness activity, or fundraising and donating to the AF Association.
What can I do during AF-A GAFAW?
There are many ways to get involved:
1. Share & Display information about AF and the importance of Detect, Protect, Correct & Perfect at your health centre, workplace or community group.
AF Aware Week patient friendly resources are available for download here.
Resources for Healthcare Professionals can be downloaded here.
International resources in other languages can be downloaded here.
2. Hold an AF Awareness activity to seek out and 'Identify the Undiagnosed Person with AF'. You can do this in collaboration with your healthcare centre, workplace or community group. We have a large number of resources which can either be downloaded from our website or ordered.
3. Fundraise & donate - why not bake some goodies to sell, hold a coffee morning, quiz night or create your own event. Or simply make a donation to enable us to continue to raise awareness and offer support:
By Phone - please call us on 01789 867 502
By Post - send a cheque to: AF Association, Unit 6B, Essex House, Cromwell Business Park, Chipping Norton, OX7 5SR
What can I do right now?
- Become a AF Association regular donor
- Sign our AF Screening Pledge
- Order t-shirts and collection boxes from our Shop
Watch this video of AF Association Founder & CEO Trudie Lobban MBE as she discusses the importance of 'Detect, Protect and Correct'
For further information on AF Aware Week contact firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0) 1789 867 502.