Know Your Pulse
Knowing your Pulse can save your life.
- If pulse checks were routine within the NHS, thousands of lives, and thousands of debilitating strokes, could be saved every year
- Learn how to take your pulse now
- Help us campaign for routine pulse checks within the NHS
Alternatively, check your pulse right here with our Know Your Pulse web app; click the ‘Take your Pulse Now’ button below right now...
Know Your Pulse Web App
Why should you ‘Know Your Pulse’?
- The easiest way to detect an arrhythmia is to feel the pulse – uneven, too fast, too slow?
- More than two million Britons are affected by an arrhythmia
- Heart rhythm disorders are Britain’s biggest killer
- Arrhythmias cause at least 75,000 sudden cardiac deaths each year in the UK; over 200 every day, more deaths than breast cancer, lung cancer and AIDS combined
- Atrial fibrillation (AF) causes 12,000 debilitating and fatal strokes in the UK each year
- At the age of 40, we all have a 1 in 4 life-time risk of developing AF which increases the risk of stroke 500%
- 120,000 people experience unexplained loss of consciousness each year, commonly a sign of a heart rhythm disorder
- There is no national programme of pulse checks or heart rhythm screening